Monday, October 29, 2007

Thoughts on Green Building & Beauty

Fresh from the Green By Design seminar hosted by Austin Energy, my mind is percolating on the concepts presented.

One that keeps coming up again and again was- Beauty. Beauty in our living space, beauty in our surroundings, beauty to bring about a calm relaxed state of mind. Beauty that makes us sigh.... ahhhhh. This is the third time Beauty as an inherent building concept has come up for me since September!

I'm a really practical person, I like to be efficient, get things done, be productive. That's just sort of been ingrained in me. Its part of who I am. This year all of my exposure to green design, green building and natural building have all centered upon creating a joyful experience, and the creation of something of beauty. This strikes me as vain in some ways- what? beauty? what about saving the planet? But hidden deep in beauty, on some subconscious level, we connect, our minds open and embrace ideas, thoughts, concepts.

This beauty aspect slows me down. It requires contemplation and thoughtful intention. It is probably EXACTLY what I need in my life. I trimmed back my basil that is trying to go to flower and I put vases of the fragrant flowers around my home. I can look at them and sigh.... ahhhh. Just what I needed. Something beautiful to rest my eyes on.

Beauty is also about Nature. Flowers are incredibly beautiful, trees, rivers, streams. The natural systems which have developed since the world was created. Natural systems that ease our minds. Why does a river make us feel relaxed, or the woods? Why does being in nature make us feel good? That beautiful system, those beautiful processes, those life cycles presenting their dance for us. Simply Beautiful.

This is your Green Realtor Signing Off-
Stay Tuned and Stay Green-
Patty Sylvana

No comments: